Upcoming Workshops with Ann West
Yoga for Back Care Basics:
Posture Practices for a Healthy Spine
Saturday, March 17 2018, 1:30-3:30pm
Promote healthy postural habits while sitting, standing & walking
How often did your parents tell you to “sit up straight” or “stand tall” when you were young? Mine did many times when I was a slouchy teenager. They never explained why back then, I was simply expected to take heed. It turns out that they were right (as usual). Poor posture has been shown to have many negative effects, including:
- discomfort and pain, especially in the lower back
- shallow breathing (see this study published in Journal Of Physical Therapy)
- poor circulation
- poor digestion (see this study published in Gut Journal)
- negative moods (see this study published in Health Psychology Journal)
On the other hand, improving your posture pays great dividends. Not only does it help reverse the above negative effects, but it also has many positive benefits including:
- maintain the natural curves of the spine to prevent and ease back pain
- improve digestion and make you more “regular”
- reduce fatigue and depression (see this study by the University of Auckland)
- make you look thinner
- promote a more youthful appearance
- encourage a positive outlook
- help you feel more powerful (see this study by Harvard and Columbia Universities)
What’s not to like?
Of course, good posture doesn’t happen on its own. It’s something we need to practice throughout our lives, especially as we age, when our postural muscle strength begins to decline and a lifetime of poor posture habits have come home to roost.
Thankfully, it’s never too late to turn back the tide. With a little awareness and effort, new habits can be formed. In this workshop I’ll be teaching simple yoga practices you can integrate into your daily routine to help you sit, stand and move with more ease.
All levels welcome.
For more yoga articles, updates, classes and workshops, sign up for my newsletter at the top of the page or like on Facebook at Ann West :: Iyengar Yoga. You can contact me directly by email or call (858) 224-2484.
© 2018 by Ann West. All rights reserved.