Iyengar Yoga is one of the world’s most widely-practiced forms of yoga. Originally devised by BKS Iyengar, it’s famous for emphasizing the correct alignment of all parts of the body within each yoga pose.
This precision in approach builds strength and stamina, balance and flexibility, and a sense of well-being. The focus on alignment also causes the mind to penetrate inwards, leading to meditation in action, where the practitioner learns to exist fully and vibrantly in the present moment.
Iyengar Yoga for a Healthy Back
Mondays and Fridays, 10:30-11:45am at Prana Yoga in La Jolla
Yoga relaxation and movement are some of best ways to help an aching back heal. In this Iyengar Yoga for a healthy back class you will learn therapeutic yoga poses that focus on soothing discomfort caused by chronic back pain. Beginners welcome.
Weekly themes each month
• standing poses for strength and stamina
• hip work to help release and support the spine
• seated poses to release the hip and leg muscles
• forward bends for a supple back body
• core work for spinal stabilization and inner strength
• back bends for a strong back and improved posture
• restorative poses for muscular relaxation
• breathing practices to sooth nervous system
Themes are subject to change. If there are five weeks in a month, the fourth class is teachers choice and the fifth is restorative/pranayama.
Yoga & Movement Therapy
Yoga and movement therapy exercises can provide relief from an array of chronic health problems. They can be used as a stand alone therapy or to supplement physical therapy.
For yoga articles, updates, classes and workshops, sign up for my newsletter at the top of the page or like on Facebook at Ann West :: Iyengar Yoga. You can contact me directly by email or call (858) 224-2484.
© 2017 by Ann West. All rights reserved.