The poses below stretch the heart and strengthen its pumping action. Poses with the arms above the head stimulate the heart and can raise the blood pressure. The continuing level poses below are contraindicated for those with non-medicated high blood pressure.
Utthita Hastasana (beginner)
• Press the feet into the floor and stretch the legs up.
• Extend up through the arms to the tips of the fingers for a full stretch in the chest.
Virabhadrasana 1 (continuing)
• Stretch from the buttocks towards the feet.
• Lift the entire frontal trunk up and extend through the arms to the tips of the fingers.
• Press the feet down to lift the buttocks and hips.
• Press out on a belt strapped around the wrists to activate the upper back and fully open the chest.
Urdhva Dhanurasana (continuing)
• Press down through the feet to lift the buttocks and hips.
• Press down through the hands to stretch the arms up and lift and open the chest.
Cool Down Poses
After practicing the stimulating poses above, cool the brain and calm the back muscles by practicing downward facing dog, legs resting up the wall and Savasana.
For more yoga articles, updates, classes and workshops, sign up for my newsletter at the top of the page or like on Facebook at Ann West :: Iyengar Yoga. You can contact me directly by email or call (858) 224-2484.
© 2015 by Ann West. All rights reserved.